Chapters of Museum History

This present building opened in August 1931, the collection having been on Pier Road for the previous 104 years.

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe, retired local photographer who was curator of the Museum from 1923 to 1941, wrote an account of how the fossil sea creatures were moved in the Museum in Pannett Park.

It was published in 1946 in “Chapters of Whitby History”, by Horace B. Browne, and edited for this website.

See: