Library and Archive CLOSED
The first priority of Whitby Literary and Philosophical Society is the health and well-being of our visitors, staff and volunteers.
In light of the latest government advice the trustees have taken the decision to close the museum library and archive until further notice. If the situation changes at any time we will issue further statements.
The trustees trust that you can understand the need for these measures and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Our normal library opening times are as below, these will be reinstated once the current crisis has ended.
Access to the Library and Archives and Guidelines for use
Please arrive in good time so that you can sign in, discuss your query with a volunteer and allow time for the retrieval of books or archives. We recommend that you phone or email to make an appointment at least two working days before your intended visit. We cannot guarantee to have sufficient colleagues available to answer all enquiries immediately.
Access to the Library and Archives
Opening Times – appointment recommended
Tuesday to Friday 10.00 am – 1.00 pm
Bank Holidays Closed
Closed from Christmas to end of January.
Phone: 01947 602908
Post: Library and Archive, Whitby Museum, Pannett Park, Whitby, YO21 1RE
Guidelines for using the Library and Archives
- smoking is not permitted in the building
- mobile telephones should be switched to silent
- place coats, bags etc in the secure lockers provided.
Help preserve our books and archives by adhering to the following guidelines
- please use pencil only
- please do not write on books and documents or mark them in any way
- please do not eat or drink in the Library
- please do not use sharp implements, such as scissors
- please ensure that your hands are clean and free of hand creams before handling
- please use gloves if asked to do so by a member of staff
- please do not lean on documents or volumes or rest on top of them when taking notes
- please take care not to disturb the arrangement of loose papers
- please consult documents on a flat surface: do not allow them to overhang the edge of the table
- please ask for book rests to support volumes where necessary
- please report any damaged books or documents to staff