Guidelines for school visits
Whitby Museum is keen to make its resources available for educational purposes. At certain times the Museum is heavily booked, with as many as 5 consecutive school parties a day.
1. Telephone (01947 602908) as soon as possible to make a booking in the Museum diary.
2. Complete booking form with full details, a contact phone number and return by email or post.
ARRIVE ON TIME so that your own and other people’s arrangements are not upset. If you are delayed please ring to let us know. We shall try to make adjustments, but a late arrival may mean shortening your visit.
ALLOW 1.5 HOURS FOR YOUR VISIT
SUPERVISION An absolute maximum of 70 students is recommended. Please provide a teacher/adult supervisor for every 8 students. Supervisors are asked to:
1. monitor their 8 students throughout the visit, especially in the toilets or at the shop;
2. teachers and supervisors must be aware at all times of where their students are
3. ensure for safety that students do not run, sit or lay on the floor, lean on the cabinets, or misuse the lift.
PHOTOGRAPHY is permitted for private use. Use of flash or tripod is not permitted.
SPECIAL NEEDS Please give us advanced indication of any SEN students so that we can be sensitive to their needs. A designated accompanying adult is helpful.
WORKSHEETS Teachers are advised to visit in advance and to plan their own worksheets. The Museum has an Education Pack which contains background information to the collections, simple photocopiable KS2 and 3 questions (with answers), suggested activities and things to find out.CLOAKROOM Please follow the instructions given by the Museum Assistants when you arrive. Money and valuables should always be kept with the owner. The Museum is not responsible for any loss or damage.
FIRST AID First Aid equipment is available please see the Museum Assistant at the reception desk.
EMERGENCY EVACUATION Should the continuous Fire Bell sound please follow the Museum Assistant’s direction. The designated collection point is the adjacent play area.
These guidelines are to help you and other visitors enjoy their day.