Donating an Object
If you have an object that you would like to donate to the museum’s collection and it fits with the criteria below, then please get in touch using the options below.
Criteria for donating an item:
- Made in Whitby
- Important to the heritage of Whitby
- Belong to a significant person from Whitby
Due to limited space we are sadly unable to accept all donations. If this is the case, we will try and direct you to another museum in the local area.
How do I offer an object or document to Whitby Museum?
Please send a letter or email telling us about your object. It would help us if you can also enclose photographs or digital images.
Please provide us with:
- Whether you are offering it as a gift, for sale, or a bequest
- Provenance (history of ownership)
- If the object incorporates any fish and wildlife components, please include information about permits or other documentation demonstrating that the object was collected, transported, exported, imported, acquired, transferred, and possessed in compliance with all UK Laws
This information can be sent to
Or email us at:- email@example.com
Can I send/leave my object to the Museum now?
Please do not send or leave unsolicited objects at the Museum. We will be in
contact to arrange for you to bring the items into the Museum.
How long before I learn whether the Museum wants to acquire my object?
We may have to contact you several times before we have enough information for your object to be considered. After this time we will make arrangements for the object/documents to be brought into the museum.
This is by appointment only.
How does the Museum decide which objects to accept for the collection?
Whitby Museum has a formal decision-making procedure. Briefly, museum curators will assess the object on the basis of various criteria and discuss their findings at a monthly Acquisitions and Disposal Committee meeting. A recommendation is then made to the Trustees who make the final decision.
A formal letter will then be sent out by the Registrar or Librarian
We may decline your offer
To be accepted into our collections, items must meet the criteria set out in museum’s collection strategy.
We may decline an offer if:
- we have example(s) in our collections already
- the offer would be more appropriate to another museum or collection. We will endeavor to provide contact details for suggested alternatives
- the proposed gift is in poor condition or will occupy a disproportionate amount of space